We’e explored healthy baby shower menus before, but what if mama isn’t just sugar-shy, but forced to manage gestational diabetes? If you’re hosting the shower, you’ll need to start planning a special menu just as soon as you get the baby shower invitations out!
Gestational diabetes affects up to 18% of pregnancies today, according to the American Diabetes Association. While there are no symptoms, it is characterized by high blood sugar levels when for some reason the pregnancy blocks insulin and blood sugar levels build. Nearly all women are tested for gestational diabetes between 24-28 weeks, though some find out earlier, particularly if they’ve had a history with the complication.
We’ve browsed a few websites and blogs looking for shower-friendly recipe ideas to serve at your next shower for a mom with gestational diabetes. We chose ingredients and recipes that are both appealing to everyone and can feed a crowd:
- Lemon Tuna Wraps. These are actually made with canned tuna and require a low GI (made from carbs that are low on the Glycemic Index) wrap. Follow the recipe (which normally feeds 4) but slice each wrap into 3 or even 4 strips, stick with toothpics and arrange on a platter.
- Hummus. Of course. Don’t leave this fave dip out. Serve with low GI baked pita chips and raw vegetables, such as carrots, celery, broccoli, etc.
- Pimped-out BLTs. On other continents (thanks Australia!), the American BLT takes on other protein-rich, diabetic friendly ingredients to create BLETs (Bacon, Lettuce, Egg, Tomato), BLATEs (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato, Egg), TLATs (Tofu, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato).
- Grilled or Stir Fry Tofu with Veggies. You need to use a firm tofu and choose a marinade with a low GI sauce such as a soy sauce base with seasonings.
- Seafood Platter. Shrimp cocktail or bacon-wrapped scallops are beloved treats for the seafood fan, but may run up your budget.
Remember that you can still offer other food that your guest of honor may steer clear of on her own. The important thing is to make sure there’s plenty of diabetic-friendly goodies that will appeal to her tastes.
To find just the right baby shower invitation for her, browse the adorable, original designs at www.LookLoveSend.com. Baby shower invitations also have coordinating thank you notes, which make an easy and useful gift for you as hostess to give to the mom-to-be. Join the email list and receive 20% off your first order!