Multiple-choice question: the diaper cake is:
- (a) A hand-crafted tower of baby diapers adorned with ornamental ribbon and baby items.
- (b) A highly-functional yet attractive baby shower gift that can be thoughtfully customized for the new baby.
- (c) A unique centerpiece for the baby shower table that is sure to impress.
- (d) All of the above.
The answer, of course, is (d) all of the above. The diaper cake is a delightful and original gift offered by numerous online sites with a variety of styles and additional customization options. However, if you have a little Martha Stewart and a lot of patience inside, consider making your own diaper cake for a fraction of the cost and the opportunity to create a highly personal and memorable gift.
The materials list for the most basic diaper cake is quite simple:
- 1 – 2 cartons of disposable diapers depending on size (a 3-tier cake requires approximately 50 newborn size diapers).
- A tray, cake stand, or cutout cardboard base
- Decorative ribbon and small items such as a pacifier, rattle, brush, booties or teddy bear.
- Rubber bands and a cardboard tube for construction.
- A superb tutorial to create the elaborate pink and green floral diaper cake shown here is featured on the Homemade by Jill
- . With additional floral accents, this sophisticated design is slightly more complex but particularly spectacular when complete.
So consider trying to put together a diaper cake for the next baby shower that you attend. If you run into any construction problems, rest assured that all materials can be nicely arranged in a basket as an alternate gift presentation option!