Do you have a child celebrating a birthday around Halloween? Why not harness the excitement of this holiday and host an early evening Halloween party before heading out to trick-or-treat? A Halloween theme is surely one of the simplest to pull off and can be tailored for kids of all ages. Below are some suggestions to host a frightfully good Halloween-themed birthday party:
- Weather permitting, host a backyard party if you can. Display carved pumpkins (use electric tealights for safety), spread spiderweb netting around shrubs and hang plastic spiders from treebranches. Get your kids involved by cutting and spray painting recycled cardboard to make tombstones.
- Replace your outdoor lightbulbs with colored ones for an instantly spooky aura.
- Place a handmade ghost near the front door to welcome your guests. Assemble your ghost from items found around the house: a hat stand, yardstick, bike helmet and a white sheet [source: parents.com]
- Serve simple premade food such as chili with cornbread, soup with crackers, finger sandwiches or mini pizzas.
Mix up a green ghoulish punch or, for cooler evenings warm your guests with hot chocolate or warm cider.
Let’s face it – the star treat of the evening will be the Halloween candy; so skip the sweet treats and simply offer pretzels or popcorn for other party snacks.
- Give each child a blank canvas bags that she can decorate and take trick-or-treating. Blank canvas bags are available for $3 each at a craft store such as JoAnn fabrics. Buy ink and stamps or get kids to make their own potato carved stamps.
- Run a bone scavenger hunt game by painting dog bones white and just a single bone orange. Ask guests to find the hidden bones and offer a special prize for the child finding the orange bone.
The Halloween party should be simple and short; kids will be brimming with excitement to get trick-or-treating. Remember the glow sticks or flashlights and ask plenty of parents to come along for supervision. For your birthday party invitations, checkout the growing selection available at LookLoveSend.com. Join our mailing list to receive 20% off your first order with us.